Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Rustic, Schmustic

I am so sick of the snow. I am definitely ready for warmer weather. We got another five inches of snow yesterday, and it is going to be in the 30s all week long, with the possibility of more snow this Friday. Enough already!

Of late, I have been living vicariously through my vacation planning. We are going to go to Charleston, SC next month, and I am more than ready for some sun and warm weather. The condo that we are staying in is right on the beach, ocean front. The kids have been to the gulf several times, but this will be their first trip to the Atlantic. They are going to be in for a bit of a surprise when they realize that they are not in store for the white sugar sand beaches and warm peaceful waters of southern Alabama. I am excited for them to actually have the opportunity to be able to collect seashells. The only ones you can find where we vacation in Alabama are teeny tiny ones, if at all.

My husband’s family are all taking a group family vacation this year. They did ask us to come along, but two things prevented it. The first is that the week they chose in April, Maggie is in school all week, and I don’t want her to miss an entire week of school. (During the week we are going to be gone to Charleston, she is out of school for teacher meetings three days, and we are taking her out the other two.) The other reason is their choice of vacation venue.

The rest of the Hale family will be spending a week camping in Kentucky. Go with God, ya’ll. Becky don’t camp. I was assured that the campgrounds they are staying at are very modern, and they even have "rustic" cabins that we could stay in if we didn't want to tent camp. ("Rustic" read: no indoor plumbing.) The following week, I will fondly think of their week cooking over the open fire and peeing outdoors while I sit and sip my beer from the deck of my condo overlooking the ocean.


2 comments:

Kristin said...

I hear ya! I don't camp either unless it's the Holiday Inn.

Anonymous said...

Hope the vacation in S.C. is a lot of fun, we're ready for a real break in the weather too!! By the way, peeing off the deck on the 3rd floor of a condo ain't peeing inside, I remember the vacation trip to Gulf Shore, and that's all I've got to say about that.